This sermon was delivered by Guest Pastor Tyson Lee.
1 John 2:3-4
And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him
1 John 2:15-17
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
THREE MARKS OF A BELIEVER
1. Obedience (1 John 2:3-4)
2. Doesn’t love the world, but loves God (1 John 2:15-17)
3. Confesses sin (1 John 1:9)
HOW CAN WE IMPACT A COMMUNITY?
Love and care for the poor and oppressed.
THREE THINGS I WANT US TO SEE ABOUT THE POOR AND OPPRESSED
1. The poor have dignity and worth (Proverbs 14:31, Genesis 9:5-6)
2. The poor have rights (Proverbs 29:7, Romans 4:5, James 2:17)
3. The poor have no voice and are defenseless (Proverbs 31:8-9, 2 Corinthians 8:9)