This sermon was delivered by guest pastor George Ross.
Acts 1:1-11 (ESV)
1In the first book, O Theophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach, 2until the day when he was taken up, after he had given commands through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. 3He presented himself alive to them after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. 4And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me; 5for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized withthe Holy Spirit not many days from now.” 6So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” 7He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. 8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” 9And when he had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. 10And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, 11and said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.”
I. THE CONTEXT (1-5)
A. The recipient: Theophilus — lover of God, a Christian, probably a Roman, to whom Luke dedicated both his Gospel (Luke 1:3) and the Acts of the Apostles (1:1).
B. The reality
4 Realities Luke Convey’s To Theophilus.
1. The resurrection is a fact. (I Cor 15)
2. If resurrection is a fact, it proves the deity of Jesus.
3. A divine Christ must speak truth, because God is truthful and must speak truthfully.
4. If what Jesus says is true, then we can trust everything he teaches.
II. THE CONFUSION (6)
A. They Ask The Wrong Question
B. They Expect The Wrong Kingdom
III. THE COMMISSION (7-11)
A. The People
B. The Power
C. The Price
D. The Parameters
E. The Promise
1. Ask the right Question, Who/What is Your King?
2. Understand you are a manifestation of God’s Kingdom here on earth through your life, marriage, family, job, hobbies . . The church is the Outpost.
3. Be intentional, don’t waste your life.