5 The Lord descended in the cloud and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the Lord. 6 The Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, 7 keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children’s children, to the third and the fourth generation.”
Exodus 34:5-7 ESV
I. More than Just a Name (5)
- God’s attributes do not tell us what He is like but rather who He is. (1 John 4:7-8)
- God is always all of His attributes fully.
- Making Much of His Marvelous Name (6-7)
- To those who are in need, God is compassionate or merciful.
- To those who do not and cannot measure up, God is gracious.
- To those who are rebellious, God is slow to anger and patient.
- To those who are faithless, God remains nothing less than perfectly faithful and forgiving.
- Just As Much a Part of His Name (7)
- To the unrepentant and unwilling, God is just, & He is just as much just as He is mercy, grace, patient, and forgiving.
- The so called “negative” attributes of God bring just as much glory to God as the so called “positive” attributes do.
- God is just to deliver justice to the unrepentant.
- God is just to be the justifier of the unjust if they will repent. (Romans 3:21-26)