1 Corinthians 11:2-3 ESV
2 Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.
I. THE TRINITY, EQUALITY, AND AUTHORITY
A. Christianity affirms the equality of men and women historically, in the incarnation, and via the creation.
B. But, equality does not eliminate authority and hierarchy as demonstrated by the Trinity.
II. THE HIERARCHY OF HEADSHIP AND HELPER-SHIP
A. Headship and submission have nothing to do with equality as demonstrated by Jesus’ submission to the headship of the Father.
B. 3 things we learn about submission from Jesus:
1. Submission is a choice made out of love not coerced by fear.
2. Submission is limited to those who are put in place by God in our life to serve us, not be served by us.
3. Submission is not about trusting your spouse or your superiors but your sovereign Savior. (1 Peter 3:1-6)
III. PLAYING YOUR ROLE
A. Just like the members of the Trinity as equals play different roles in redemption, man and woman as equals play different roles in the home and church.
B. The Roles of the Trinity in Redemption:
1. The Father Sends. (John 3:16)
2. The Son Saves. (Leviticus 16)
3. The Spirit Sanctifies. (1 Thess 4:3, Rom 8:28-29, 12:1-2)
IV. FORBIDDEN FRUIT AND ROLES IN THE HOME
A. Sisters, rather than focus on the forbidden fruit in the home and church focus on taking advantage of what God has given you.
B. Brothers, our sisters are our equals and we should stir them up to use their gifts to better the church and their home.
1. Submission and sacrifice are at the heart of the Gospel.
Supremacy of Jesus in Man & Womanhood Part 3 1 Cor 11:2-16