Podcast: Play in new window | Download
1 Peter 1:8-12 ESV
Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours searched and inquired carefully, inquiring what person or time the Spirit of Christ in them was indicating when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the subsequent glories. It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in the things that have now been announced to you through those who preached the good news to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look.
I. FOLLOWING WHAT WE HAVE NOT SEEN (8)
A. We follow Jesus because of faith, not because of what we see with our eyes.
B. Faith in Jesus is not blind but is logical and very reasonable. (Hebrews 11:1)
II. ASSURED BY WHAT WE CAN SEE (8-9)
A. We may have never seen Jesus but we have seen the fruit of His presence in our lives.
B. Faith in Jesus sustains us in all things, including suffering.
C. By praising Jesus in all things, we see heaven on earth now.
III. SEEING WHAT OTHERS WISH THEY COULD (10-12)
A. On this side of the Gospel we see what others foretold but could not see how it would work out.
B. Lines that were blurry to prophets & even angels have been filled in for us.
IV. GOD’S TRUTH, OUR JOY
1. Same Spirit that spoke to prophets makes truth of God known to us. (John 16:12-15, Matt 16:16-17)
2. God wants to make his truth known. ( 1 Tim 2:1-4)
3. God’s truth results in His glory and our joy.
4. We see God’s truth through His Word.
1. Thank You God for showing me your truth because in it I find joy and completion.
2. Father, show me places I’m looking for happiness apart from you & lead me to repent over those things.
3. Jesus, empower me to lead many others in my life time to see that their hope of happiness in not found in themselves but in you.