Matthew 28:16-20 ESV
Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
I. CORE VALUES
A. Core Values are the things we do to accomplish our mission.
B. Knowing our core values is important. It tells everyone who we are trying to be at New Journey.
C. Knowing core values guards the church against missional drift.
II. CORE VALUES OF MISSIONS (16)
A. Jesus tells us to go, so, we go at NJ.
B. When we go out of town, we work with local church because God ordained local church as means by which He would reach the world.
III. GOSPEL VERSUS GOOD WORKS
A. If the Gospel is not the star of a trip, it is not missions but good works.
B. Jesus does not command good works but that we carry the Gospel around the world.
C. The great need of mankind, even those in remote places, is the Gospel not to be more comfortable because we are all without excuse. (Rom 1:18-21)
D. God has provided the means for all to hear the Gospel; His people!
1. By ignoring the world we are no different than any other church.
2. Being consumed with the glory of God is what fuels our obsession with missions.
3. If the Gospel does not compel us to others we are not Gospel centered but rather self-centered.
4. We are missionaries to Columbus, not church members at New Journey.
5. Jesus never called us to do missions alone but ordered us to form groups with whom we live on mission.